RCU Forums - View Single Post - time to stop the dromes..........NOW
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
So anyone get a chance to hear the call this morning from the FAA? I'll be interested to hear from all those folks who have been talking about the end of the hobby as we know it since "quads" have become popular...and how the hobby will never be the same, and how they will control us etc etc etc.

I know it's going to be a long wait.
LOL…

I listened to it and have been following this very closely. For those who missed it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtjvjmr5XY Basically all good however one part is more restrictive than current rules for model aircraft.

Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the required ATC permission.

This means outside 5 miles but inside Class B, C, D or E airspace a "licensed" Drone operator will not be allowed to fly without first calling ATC and getting permission. (Does it have to be in writing? - I don't know.)

But a "recreational" RC modeller flying the same equipment (Drone and Camera) in the same area for private use can take off and fly under 400 feet all day without permission.

No logic in that.

There are hundreds of places in the USA where this could occur, mostly within 10-15 miles of an airport (IE major population areas )

Here are just two examples. Tucson and Monterey, in both images, if you are located at the red star a recreational pilot can fly without permission but a licensed operator cannot under the proposed ruling.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	57
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	2073512   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	2073513  

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-15-2015 at 04:33 PM.