RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster plus 1:5.5 BAE Hawk
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

While I was pulling everything out of the wing I also gave the landing gear some attention.

the retract units are from airpower and these, like all my other units from them are not loctited from factory and so in very short order the main pivot pin bolts start to vibrate lose and cause the trunnion to feel sloppy. I pulled it all apart, cleaned everything and loctited it all back together. All good to go again. one thing I did find was the cylinders felt pretty sluggish to manually operate. And they seemed to spew out a silicone based gel out of the retract port. I've never seen this on airpower retracts before so I assumed that it must have been 'ole mates grand idea again so pumped out as much of it as I could.

i also wanted to paint the gear and wheel while it was out so I pulled the wheel off the leg and then pulled the wheel apart as well so I could clean, mask off, and paint all the bits. The grey came out a little darker than I wanted but it will do fine.

The gear has been reinstalled into the wing, the servo leads were shortened and a new connector re-crimped onto the end of the wires and some servo labels stuck onto each lead so the wing is all ready to go for final setup with the radio.

i started with the right had wing half, but snapped one of my new fan dangled pushrods so now have to make another 45min each way trek to the shop to buy a replacement. Most of the remedial work I did on the l/h have been already completed on the r/h side but I haven't installed the gear back in yet because it seems like the fwd gear rail might be cracked. Only noticed it after I painted the wheel well. Not going to take any chances so tomorrow I'll hysol in a doubler under the rail.

thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	2074649   Click image for larger version

Views:	186
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	2074650   Click image for larger version

Views:	203
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	2074651   Click image for larger version

Views:	195
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	2074658  

Last edited by ticketec; 02-19-2015 at 06:46 AM.