RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Stratus (#RC4) - the long slow plans build
Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SIG Stratus (#RC4) - the long slow plans build

At long last I have them - plans sheets for the 1966-era SIG (RC4) Stratus. I've had a thing for this plane since it first came out 49 years ago, and in all that time I know of only one that's taken to the skies. That one was built by RCU ID heggen and is positively beautiful. Actually, he's also the source of my plans (including separate tracings of every wing rib) and I'd like to thank him right here, right now - this little project wouldn't be possible if not for him.

Just for reference, this is the only pic I've ever seen of any Stratus, and it happens to be his:

The basic measurements for the plane: ws=70", length=48.5", weight (projected)=6 - 7 lbs, engine=.45-.60

These are rather poor pics of my plans (cheapie camera) as laid out for the first time: Rib photos coming soon.

Anyway, I've been building kits since 1956 but this is my very first scratch (plans) build, so it's going to take awhile - and that's not helped much by the fact that the only place in this area to re-copy them is our local county office and their map copier is down for the next 2 weeks. That's OK though. It'll give me time to form a plan of attack. I'm thinking to do wings first, then tail feathers, then fuse. I'm also going to need all the advice I can possibly get - I'm actually feeling quite like a complete newby right now.

First consideration with the wings are the ailerons - they're only .75" deep, probably due to the types of radios available 50 years ago. I'm thinking seriously of increasing them to between 1" & 1.25", more in line with several other planes I've got active today. Also, the plans call for a completely sheeted wing but I'm thinking of "D-tube"-style sheeting and cap strips over the ribs. Any and all opinions would be appreciated here (see? I told you I'd be asking for advice).

So... we begin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC4-stratus-original.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2074871   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1877.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2074872   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1878.jpg
Views:	989