RCU Forums - View Single Post - Florida Jets 2015 Powerbox I Gyro 3e Special
Old 02-22-2015, 02:25 PM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will most probably go with some sort of gyro assist, and as Lance points out, I suspect it will at least give me some inkling of a problem; enough time to mentally say, "Oh, s**t!" and then apply some corrective inputs--hopefully with some technological assist from the gyro.
One last thought, and I will leave you gentleman. As you've no doubt noticed, I'm running twin DA85s in the '38; not because I'm a speed freak but to turn near scale props. Do you think applying MORE power to the single remaining engine is more likely to induce dangerous yaw? I'm thinking I could kill my safe flight envelope just by adding what excess power I have in the DA85. I considered the Twin Synch for a good while--even helped a local fella' beta test the prototypes on some of his twins. Properly installed they seem to work great. They automatically pull back your GOOD engine to idle when they detect a pre-set engine RPM differential. Enough, I hoped to give me a warning of an engine fail and then to advance the good engine, s l o w l y, easing back into the power to insure a "controlled" approach to the emergency.
In theory, this should help avert a flight emergency. In practice, all the folks but my initial beta tester buddy found they nearly LOST a twin or two from spurious Twin Synch throttle cuts, on fully functional engines. So, unless the folks flying the fault Twin Synchs had a poor equipment install (which I seriously doubt), I think the gyro remains the best option.
If I had any sense, I shoulda' stayed away from twins, like any rational human being. Now with a 1/5scale '38, a nifty He 219, a 1/8th scale B-17 (75lbs worth) and a 1/5th scale B-26K (Counter Invader) in the hangar, I guess its time to admit to the mental aberration and make the best of it.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Regards,
Lynn