RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://youtu.be/3VgO5uSfV5U Here is the Youtube link for the first test run of this prop. It was necessary to downgrade the video resolution because the High Def version would have taken more than an hour to upload. There is not much motion so it isn't too bad. I had set the pitch at 16 inches for the RF 65cc motor which is still waiting for a new shaft to fit the Zinger 22-16 4 blade. The VarioProp will fit any standard shaft length so I bolted it on the 50cc RF motor Along with the True Turn spinner I had modified to fit the Zinger. The battery is a 12s 5300 45c Gens Ace which has a lot of flights behind it and may be getting tired. I am changing to 12s 2p packs (6 4s 3200mah packs) as the 4cell Lipos are easier to find at reasonable prices. Especially if you puff a cell, it is not a financial disaster to replace a 4s pack. I am still going to do more test runs to see if I can find a pitch that will work with the 50cc motor. The amp draw for this test run was 170amps and the ESC cut power because full throttle voltage dropped below the 30 volt limit. I have since disabled the voltage cutoff. I would rather make the runway and lose a battery or esc than lose an airframe because the ESC is trying to save itself. It would probably be destroyed in the off runway crash anyway. The VarioProp is the 16D hub with 22.6 inch blades. I emailed [email protected]and gave him my motor and spinner info and after paying, it took a couple of weeks for the prop to arrive from Germany. I comes with full instructions for assembly and a spare set of bladesfor $228.00 including shipping and all adapter parts. I had asked for 10-32 threads in the prop nut for the spinner bolt but got 4mm instead so I drilled and tapped it to 10-32 myself. For any one else who wants to try this, I had conversations with pilots who had the Varioprop and one said his corsair did 150mph and the other said it got his plane to flutter speed. I plan to limit my plane to the 110-115mph that I am getting now and be satisfied with that. Another option would be to get a blade diameter closer to 20 inches, the 50cc motor would probably turn that size ok.