RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone,
Well I just wanted to give you all a heads-up regarding several thread conversations I've had with some BIG NAME jet flyers regarding the use of gyros to inhibit or help prevent uncontrolled flight in the event of an engine failure (gas or otherwise) on our beloved P38s. The good news is I was very kindly received and provided some sage wisdom from VERY creditable authorities regarding our potential use of gyros on P38s. You can find our comment exchanges in the Jet Forum under this thread: Florida Jets 2015 Powerbox I Gyro 3e Special. From all the comments, the short answer is, unfortunately, consensus is that even the best of gyros won't altogether prevent a snap and spin on single engine failure, BUT we should get some precious assistance in maintaining control and managing single engine recovery of our models in the event of an engine failure. Perhaps gyro tech and maybe some sort of telemetry to give us some warning and info on WHICH engine has failed may give us a fighting chance to land our models safely after an engine failure. Check out the Jet thread. Some REAL expert opinions offered there. Personally, I'll consider this question resolved. Now its just a matter of finding the proper gyro (the iGyro looks the most capable and easiest to install and use) and the proper sensors for a telemetry capable radio. See? No problem at all.....

Regards,
langerl