RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thunder Tiger Engines
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed on Tower that they seem to be winding down all the Foxproducts including plugs, spinner nuts, reamers, etc. I might be wrong butthat's what it looks like to me. If Fox is getting completely out to focus onhigher profit business, it's a shame for us hobbyists. It's all a symptom ofthe changing RC industry. Cheap Chinese engines have just about killed otherengine manufacturers and cheap ARF's have destroyed and set back the hobby forkit builders. You have to look harder to find new kits and go to Ebay, swapmeets or estate sales. I'll be shocked if we'll still be able to buy iron oncovering on a roll or at least have a good selection because kit building is so down and a lot of people can'tfix their planes so they discard them. They never learned to build so theycan't repair or cover. For those of us left who still want to build, I betwe'll have to go back to the "stone age" and scratch build fromplans and cover with old fashioned tissue and silk. Model dope may not even beavailable much longer either. Brodak still carries it and Sig has some but youalready see people trying to paint with Rustoleum and such. On top of allthis, we still have an economy sputtering along where 30 hours/week is the newfull time for a lot of people and wages are fairly stagnant. Have to rememberthat this is a leisure hobby industry that depends on people's disposableincome and a lot of us just don't have it like we used to so a lot of people have to buy the Chinese stuff or just not be in the hobby. And, if that's notenough doom and gloom, electric is taking over along with small gasolineengines and a lot of people are flying large scale that use large gas engines.Pretty soon, anything that used to take a 1.0 size or smaller glow engine willbe electric. I'm afraid that kit building as we knew it and glow engines are going away and even OS will be impacted at some point.