RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Again it depends on how you interpret the phrase: {quote](2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines andwithin the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
Can you be "within the programming" if you are not a member of the organization? As the organization determines the programming what if they declare that the programming includes membership?

Many have stated that the PL cannot require membership in a CBO, I agree. However IMHO if there is only one nationwide CBO and that CBO requires membership to operate "withing the programming of" then if you want to fly under Sec 336 you must be a CBO member.

Now I personally think that is a terrible idea, similar to a mandate for health care, but the Public Law Sec 336 was written by AMA lobbyists and they seem to know what they were doing.[/QUOTE]

It would seem to me that if the FAA decides not to impose rules on modelers that are more restrictive than the the AMA's then this is a moot point.