RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I keep going back to the Conference Committee notes on Section 336:

In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within theNational Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground;develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions,government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members
Pretty clear to me. Especially this line:
safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground;safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground;

This makes it clear that the Safety Program is intended for use by the members of the CBO. It does not say that the CBO provides the public with a set of safety guidelines. It says members. More than once.

And I am still mystified why somebody would feel fine about using the Safety Program and benefitting from the efforts of a CBO without wanting to be a member of that CBO and to support it.
Interesting to compare that highlighted wording to the AMA Mission Statement:
AMA Mission
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.
The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education and scientific/technical development to modelers.
Apparently it depends on which way the wind is blowing........