RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building technique: Utilizing a Wing-Jig, Scale P-51 "Speed Wing"
Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Building technique: Utilizing a Wing-Jig, Scale P-51 "Speed Wing"

Over the years that the Warbird Racer Trinity-build thread has been going on, some questions I have been asked, regarding the building methods I've incorporated in that thread, were mainly from those who have yet to use a wing jig. A couple have asked how I design and scratch-build my wings, such as those used on both my P-39 and P-51; and a found the prospect interesting and specifically asked if I would "please explain how to build wings using a wing jig."

Addressing this seems timely in that "Bulldog" just picked one of the second run (or 2nd prototype version) of my P-51 "Speed Wing" laser-cut short-kits, has never used this method, and wants to start it soon; and, two others still have my 1st-prototype wing kits won as prizes at my VALLEY OF SPEED warbird race. From the feedback I have received, so far, none of those receiving these kits have jig-built a wing before. As I will be giving three more kits away as prizes to contestants at this year's VALLEY OF SPEED II, on August 2nd at SAMs, and want everyone to have a rewarding experience with them, it would likely be helpful to explain this process sooner, rather than later.

I thought it would be better to do so on a separate thread so that these builders can more easily access the information and refer to it as an on-line construction manual, rather than have it buried within the other rather large thread; while hopefully simultaneously answering the questions for any others that want to know more about this construction method.

If you have interest in this method, please read on.

As with the composite construction methods I detailed in the Trinity-build, I am self-taught. I learned by buying a Great Planes wing jig and trying it out on my own. I liked it so much, I kept building in this manner, and have built my own style of wing jigs; but do not claim to be an expert. I merely want to support my friends’ efforts, and hope to cut their learning-curve a little by sharing the mistakes I’ve made in the past, and those techniques that have worked well for me, thus far. Feel free to ask questions or add your expertise . . . sharing and improving our knowledge and skills-sets is what this is all about!

(I realize that this thread could also be placed in the Kit-building Forum, but the subject I will be using as an example is a wing custom-designed to complement what is currently the most commonly used ARF in scale warbird racing; and, those asking me to explain this process are scale warbird racers more commonly frequenting this forum, so its placement here seems more appropriate to me.)

If you’re still with me, let’s get started!