RCU Forums - View Single Post - reinforced bondo for quick cowl mold?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks PatternPilot for the links. It looks like just what I did except I did my cowl mold in two sides instead of top and bottom. I drilled about 6-7 holes through the mold before taking out the plug for alignment holes. I figure I can use 3 of them for alignment pins and the other 4 for screws to hold the halves together. When I have the mold clamped with 4 clamps, it will hold water for more than 20 minutes. I just get a drip out of it, so the sides fit together pretty well. I think I have about 6-7 coats of wax on it now (have been using Johnsons paste wax) and it feels smoother than glass. I will put some pictures of the mold halves on here tonight.

I had an idea that I think would work for vacuum molding and thought it might pull a little more epoxy out of the glass during curing. Just was wondering if anybody else has done it before. I will try and explain my idea in words although a picture of it tonight might work out better. Here it goes. take a large trash bag that will fit completely around the mold and open it up. reach inside the bag and grab a handful of the corner of the inside of the bag. With the handful of bag in your fist, put your fist inside the mold and push to the bottom. Then take the top part of the bag and pull it around the outside of the mold. Seal the end of the bag with your vacuum line sealed with it. Pull vacuum and there should be enough bag material you bunched up inside the mold to spread out and completely push against the inner walls of the mold. Now if you placed a few absorbent pads inside of some peel paper pouches inside the cowl against the walls, they would be able to absorb the extra epoxy being pushed from the glass.
Well does that give you a mental image of the process? I know I am probably over thinking things here but that's what I always do.