RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Zinger prop and its spinner fits my gas ZDZ 80rv, it will be the power for the H9 P 51 I will be getting as soon as the early buyers find deficiencies it may have. If there are none I will get it sooner. The Zinger prop needs an additional inch of motor shaft for the prop nut because the blade hubs are thicker to accommodate the 16 inch pitch. The Vario prop has small diameter round blade hubs to enable any pitch angle up to about 25 inches. The Vario prop hub thickness is 1 inch no matter what pitch you set. I am initially setting 16 inches as prior experience with large 2 and 3 blade props on an 80cc gas motor and the Rimfire 65cc electric proves that at the thrust levels and rpms I am now getting it will work. I believe that flight testing will show a need to increase pitch beyond 16 inches. All of my prior testing demonstrated very high static thrust with 8-10 in. pitch but low top speed. For instance a ZDZ 80rv turning a 26-10 prozinger delivered 55lbs static thrust and over 100mph level flight on a 25lb. 3d Cap 232, 92 in. wing span. I could take off in 15 feet, go vertical, stop and hover then punch out vertical and do every maneuver I was capable of on an up-line finishing at too high to see. Changing to a 26-12 prop lowered static thrust by 25% and made hovering difficult and also made the plane too fast to be practical. Flying an RC model with large control surfaces at high speeds is asking for flutter. The P 51 with smaller control surfaces can handle faster flight with little risk as long as you don't push the flutter limit by diving to get the highest possible speed. I lost a GS TF P 51 to structural failure by diving it toward a radar gun that read 122mph as the fuselage broke in half at the trailing edge of the wing. And that plane had a 40 cc Fox gas motor with a 20-12 APC prop. It would maybe do 85mph in level flight. I sold a fiberglass and foam P 51 to a friend who fluttered it to death diving vertical to see how fast it would go. It was 1/6 scale I think and had balsa sheeted wings. On its first flight several pilots reported hearing buzzing sounds. It might have been doing 130mph when the ailerons and elevators buzzed off, went completely vertical and left a small crater in a concrete hard stand used by the US NAVY for testing jet engines at Boca Chica NAS. I tallied up the cost of every thing on the current plane and when it went over $4k I almost called Bill to say it was to expensive to fly any more.
Now that I have a baseline for performance with my current setup, weather permitting I should be able report flight performance after the next trip to the Ocala RC field. I am sure that what I am getting will have no problem getting airborne but will be slower than I like. After I get rpm and current data I will begin to increase pitch to get a little more speed. Others I have corresponded with have reported very high top speeds with either of the props I have. My friend Bill, who has been restraining my planes for run-up said after the first Vario prop run that that was the strongest static thrust he had felt of any of my planes. We had to stop straddling the fuse and holding it back with ankles against the horizontal stab because I found compression damage to the leading edge. The last thing I need is to have the plane go ripping into the air from the starting pad with no stabilizer.