RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)
Old 10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Caution

CAUTION!

I hate it when you are cruising along on construction and then something happens. I was installing the canopy. I taped it down a couple places and drilled my holes. Well when I pulled the tape up it PULLED ALL THE PAINT OFF THE CANOPY were the tape was! So beware. On examination it looks like a lousy paint job that will start peeling off in no time anyway.

PS: Even more of the paint came off. I tried painting it with Lustrekote Aluminum. Didn't work worth a damn. They need to have brush-on Lustrekote, they don't. Going to take major work, Tried Testors, worked OK, but can't match the color so now the canopy on my beautiful P-51 looks like crap! Has big messed up two inch spot on the side.

Big PS: the canopy install instructions are completely unsatisfactory. By the time you get to the install instructions everything else has been added inside the fuselage. You can't get to the screw holes to reinforce them form the inside. Of the 8 holes I drilled, 3 were to big for the small screws. The canopy should be positioned and the holes drilled before you put anything inside the fuselage. Put some supporting blocks behind the holes, CA reinforce them, and you are set. Then you can take it off and continue with the normal assembly instructions.