RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster plus 1:5.5 BAE Hawk
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 02:20 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
Have now got 6 flights on my SM Xtreme Hawk. What a great solid flier, especially with the Cortex gyro.

The first 2 flights were flown with a clean wing and resulted in major wing drops, but I then added the fences and VG's, plus added a little crow with the last 1/4 of full back stick. It has tamed the wing drop considerably and it is now very docile.

I added Unilights strobe and landing lights, scratch built a couple of the more prominent antennas and a pitot probe from Alan (Fiireblade5437). It really makes it stand out. I'm now waiting on some stencil decals from Tailormade.

I've used the settings from the manual, but then added crow with landing flap and almost double the landing flap deflection, probably close to 50mm compared to the suggested 30mm. It lands great. I had to replace the landing gear plywood mounts after the first couple of flights as they were extremely weak and they crumbled apart. They were easy to cut out and I used better quality plywood.

Paul
Congrats JSF and great news! Your fence and VG install look very clean! nice job.

Any video of your flights??

Have you noticed with the increased flap any reduction of landing speed?

I'm always a big believer that they don't go putting these things like fences and VG on the full sized because they are bored! The Hawk 100 and the T.1 have quite different configurations when it comes to the wing fences. and I have also noticed variances between the T.1's as well. but most T.1 seem to have 3 wing fences. I hav attached a pic that shows all the fences on the RAAF Mk.127's.

Another thing I had never noticed before till I got up close was the Mk.100 series have a stall strip almost inline with the main landing gear. These are there to induce a stall on the inboard section of wing before the outside stalls and therefore deal with tip stalling issues... would be interesting to test on the model.

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	2079851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	2079852