RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Laser?
Thread: Club Laser?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Joespeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Carosel43.

I'm flying the VQ Huri right now on the DLE20 on a 15x8 2 blade but the 20 will spin both a 15 or 16x8x3 with enough power to fly a 62inch warbird very well. I think this will be my 7th season with the Hurri with some down time due to testing it's ability to fly through a tree trunk.... I don't recommend that test. We fly these in groups of up to 8 or more warbirds every Tuesday evening all summer long practicing formations. To match the group I need to keep up with a TF P-40 with a Supercharged YS, another DLE20 16x8x3 in a H9 ME-109 and on an on.... We fly at 1/2 throttle while practicing and probably 90% of the time. However, when you're trying to regroup for whatever reason it's nice to have the power. Plus the 3 blade looks so great I now have 2 new Graupner Wide Blades waiting for this season,

I have a H9 Razorback on a Saito 125 and it's just not enough... She's a big girl, flys well, but I'm always at high throttle settings trying to manage coming in or out of the group a 150 would have given me the range needed to do 1/2 throttle cruise.

You're correct the VQ Hurri will fly well on the 80 and a 14x7 2 blade. It's a terrific plane and I'm really happy I have a new one on it's way. Be sure to reinforce the firewall box or it will break off. It;s only glued onto the end of the fuse by the very end of the sheet ply that makes the box. I've seen those boxes come off even with electric set ups and no vibration.

I know it sounds like we pylon race but we are the furthest from that,,, We cruise at 1/2 throttle and work on staying tight through some simple formation maneuvers, The extra power is to spin the big props and catch up when needed.

At 13:50 and 19:22 you can see the 109 with its 3 blade, and at 17:00 you can see me landing the Hurri on the DLE20.

https://youtu.be/h_k7ulW56Oc Groups every Tuesday...

https://youtu.be/C4rrm6LTzHo?t=5m37s Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; 03-13-2015 at 05:53 AM.