RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crash today at Florida Jets.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too was hit. It was at one of those Navy practice runways near VA Beach, May 1981. There was a pattern contest and I was flying my brand new Tiporare, only 1 or 2 flights on it. This was a trim flight before the contest began. My buddy and pilot extraordinaire, Steve Stricker, was spotting for me. Another bud of ours was taking off with his Curare. He was trying a new technique that he thought might help his scores by keeping his takeoff roll straighter: he had a locked, non-steerable nose wheel installed. I was on the backside of a practice double immelman, inverted and just starting the roll to upright. The Curare hit a pebble or crack in the pavemengt and turned towards us. The pilot made the decision that he could correct with rudder and takeoff before hitting us. He was wrong. At some point he aborted the takeoff attempt and cut throttle. As I was flying my most prized possession as a 20 year old kid, there was no way that I could take my eyes off my plane. The wing hit my ankle hard and flipped me almost 180 degrees. Steve saw my predicament and yelled "pull up.... NOW" in an attempt to save my airframe. But that did not happen. I spent the afternoon in some VA hospital getting my ankle x-rayed (just sprained) and my airframe was a total loss. My dad actually filed an insurance claim with the AMA and they gave me some money (no recollection how much) towards replacement of the aircraft. Could have been far worse. A simple barrier would have prevented this, but at the time, no such barrier was employed.