RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I have posted this times before, but here is a real trick for a couple engines.

1, Fox .29,.35,.40 engines for CL. Remove the Fox needle valve assembly, and replace with either of an O.S> CL NV or an Enya, same. Be sure that the rear hole in the NV is JUST out of sight facing rear. OS and Enya are about same, with ONE (1) hole. That hole should be facing BACK and JUST out of sight. On the FOX NV, if you must use it, be sure for stunt flying the rear hole is same as above, just out of sight. The front hole will then be facing front and create some very good (or not good ) BURPS in most aerobatic maneuvers. I found the Fox CL Stunt .40 to be equal to any other CL Stunt engine if given at least 3 hours on the work-bench, then an hour on the model. All my competition stunt flying was using Fox Fuel for fox engines. You may need some small washers to center the NV in the hole. Use 'em!
Later on when Fox Fuel was not available I took standard Fuels to make a decent FOX engine fuel.

64 OZ. (1/2 gal) of standard 10% nitro / and 18% oil. Add 32 Oz. (quart) of 5% Nitro and 16% oil. Add 14% castor oil. This results in about 110 OZ. fuel, with 7.8% Nitro, 27% oil > being 56% Castor and 44% Synthetic. That's about close to it will keep a Fox running well for CL Stunt. A Fox engine needs a couple of hours on the
stand prior to flying.

For all those old Testor's McCoy red and blue head engines, they were good but short-lived. One secrete that worked well if one really knew how to do it was:

After some good flying time and they got rather difficult to finger start do this" Prop size 9" diameter, 5-6" pitch. Use a rat-race setting with 10-15% oil fuel, and needle it to maximum. Take off an be ready to NOT get too much round and round until you know it is really leaning out. Let it go as fast as it will. (might have to do some inverted but best if then "RAT-RACE" speed is maintained.) When it stops it will be smoking a bit if everything worked. You will find that the heat swelled and hardened the piston. Once it cools down, the engine will be very quick to start, runs better than you will have ever known, and will last a long time. This came to me about speed engines from a great speed CL flier. SWELL THE PISTON! NO, NOT for ringed engines, just lapped pistons!!! It works!

Any of you guys ever fly the Grey McCoys built around 1971-73 era. Very powerful, but came out at the wrong time, built by Testors up near Rockford, IL. They were good RC engines, but the rings were not tight and difficult to start, especially by flipping. As a rather good CL Stunt Man that owned a Hobby shop back then, Testors pushed on me to fly a pre-production one at the NATs in Glenview. I removed my fantastic George Aldrich rebuilt Super Tigre. 40 and replaced that with one of these new "McCoy Testors". I got in one good test flight the day before and one early before my first flight at Glenview. That first morning flight was a good flight, in the top 5. The 2nd official was going great, and I was drawing a crowd around the fence. Then came the UN-GREAT! For some reason the engine flamed into Rat-Race lean and I was over-time by at least 2 minutes, negating my 4-leaf clover, the landing, and pattern-points. I tried every maneuver I knew to shut-'er down, but was out of the placing, no chance for the top-ten.

Needless to say I did not give a good review of that engine. OK for RC but not for CL Stunt. If you have one, you might like it. I flew one, a 35, in a RC Trainer and it was OK by all standards. They never lasted long in the front-lines. I'm sure there is some out in the world, but I do not have one. I think it was actually made by K&B, had all the parts but I have no recall of what Testor's finally did with the design.

Ain't RC History GREAT? ........

Last edited by Hossfly; 03-15-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add item