RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Originally Posted by Jacksterman
Hey Donny, My first RC plane was a rudder only MAMBO with a FOX .15 engine. my best RC RECEIVER was a transistor CG Single Channel. My flying Buddy and I would buy Ambroid glue by the Pint can. We would buy Butyrate dope using an old Lacquer 1/2 can. at Thomasville Airport near YORK, PA. I Covered the wings of my planes with rayon bandanas from the 5 & 10 cent store using dope.
I also flew a high wing VANGUARD made by Guillow Co. powered by an .049 Golden Bee. I like to talk about old flying days !!
I had the same bird and engine combo but never flew or finished it finally gave it away back in 198? something ...Kinda regretted it. You have arrived at the correct place to reminisce....Welcome!
Mambo would be an easy scratch build, with slab sides and constant chord wing. Haven't found plans yet of the Vanguard, seems a rarity indeed. I heard that with the lifting tail, the Mambo if it got too fast in a dive, would continue instead of pulling out, leading to disastrous results. DeBolt Livewire Kitten has a lifting tail too, but it is supposed to be able to do rudder only stunts. The 36 inch wingspan Minnie Mambo was an ideal half-A RO stunter, it would do 2 loops (2nd was not as round as the first) and barrel roll like crazy. Trick was building light by covering with silk and clear doping.