RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Laser?
Thread: Club Laser?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carosel43
Sorry, 4ba is the thread size of the bolts used in the engine. ba was a british thread standard which is now obsolete. We switched to metric threads just after the turn of the century. That's why the 2003 engine is marked with M for metric as there was a period of crossover between the only and new thread sizes. All current engines use M4 bolts for head screws and either M4 or M5 bolts for holding the front housings and backplates. Only the 70 uses M3 backplate bolts. All crankshafts are either M8x1.25 or M10x1.5. Again the 70 is the odd one out as it retains a 1/4x28 unf crank. I think this was due to M6 being a slightly unusual size and potentially difficult to source prop nuts locally for customers over seas.

In your photo it looks like you might have M4 bolts, they could have been retrofitted at a later time. To test it find a 3/32 allen key and see if it fits. If it does then you have 4ba, if not try and 3mm allen key as this will fit M4
they are 4ba as the 3/32 Allen key fits. The M3 is too big. The Allen key fit all the bolts except for the one for the valve cover. The only bolts I could turn are the ones for the mufflers and carbs. The other ones would not budge and probably need dynamite to get them out.. So if there is a problem with the bolts on this engine what would be the replacement as I am sue the US standard will most likely not fit. I assume it will have to take a trip across the pond? Thanks for all your time with this.