Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnel
Hi Folks

Later today, UPS will be delivering a Great Planes WACO ARF to me. I have thought a lot of this through, but I am looking for ideas on how best to protect this large beast while transporting it 20-30 miles to the field in my Nissan Xterra SUV.

The 72" wings detach from the fuselage as a unit, upper and lower wings stay together when you remove them, I think. Maybe not, maybe you separate them for transport, I think. Maybe not though, maybe the wings separate for transport.

I am thinking to wrap the wing assembly in a moving blanket, and doing the same with the fuselage, then perhaps putting some stuff in the corners of the truck for the wing to rest on, with the fuselage underneath.

That's the best I have come up with. This is going to be an awkward plane to transport, and I don't envision flying it as often as my other planes, but I would sure like to get it to and from the field without incurring hanger damage.

How do you experienced folks transport large biplanes?
michaelnel,
Sounds like your on the right track protect your Waco the best way you can moving blankets will do just fine. I have a full size van and I am able to carry mine in one piece makes it real easy to transport.