RCU Forums - View Single Post - New guy needs help with Heng Long tanks
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 04:29 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanyhalos
If lipos are so dangerous, why do people use them? Is there any advantage?
In tanks, almost zero advantage unless you have so many power hungry systems going (MFU, sound, amp) or have no space for a traditional NiMH.

Lipos have an immense ammount of power and discharge rate for their size. They are ideal for aircraft where weight and power are concerns or if you are racing cars or boats and need huge amounts of juice really fast. That all comes at a price though, they don't like to be abused in any way. Wet, puncture or short and you've got a big problem.

Used with caution, they are fine, but need to treated with respect. Not sitting in a hot car, etc.

My introduction to the bad side was while flying a small foam Corsair. It was the end of the day, I needed get to going, I landed the plane, pulled the battery, a 120 mAh 1 C (smaller than the return key on your computer), stuck it in my pocket and headed for the car. What I didn't know was on landing, the small connector broke free exposing a wire thread. I get to the car, put the plane away and as I'm getting in the front to drive I noticed my leg was getting hot. I yanked the battery out and tossed it on the ground and watched a tiny blow torch of a flame, bigger than the battery itself shoot out for a what seemed like an hour. If I was driving at the time, it would have been a disaster, the blow torch would have been on me. From that point on, I had a serious respect for lipos.