RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )
Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each and every aircraft will be different as far as gain goes. Even the same airplane type but two different examples will be a little different due to variations in control throws, CG, etc. To make a "WAG" on what you probably have on gains, I'd say "you are probably pretty close" but I'd be careful on how soon you open up the speed range until you get some time on the gyro at lower speeds and solidify your comfort with the switching from your TX. You may find your plane will not tolerate as much gain at full speed, besides, most planes are pretty stable anyhow at speed.

My example aircraft are completely different. The first one was a P-51D prop plane and the speed envelope was probably the high 20mph range to the high 80mph range. I extensively used various gains from 20 percent to 100 percent in both "Rate" (type A) and "Attitude Hold" (or type B). I was able to fly up to the higher limit of speed on the airframe at 100 percent in both modes. On the P-51 I started to really enjoy using the "attitude" mode more than anything after getting comfortable on the "rate" mode first.

The second aircraft was an El Bandito electric ducted fan. Speed range is from the mid 30mph range at full stall on the runway to about 160mph on a full throttle level pass and a bit faster in a descent. At 100 percent gain I reached an oscillation in roll (aileron over control via gyro) at about 100mph before backing off and adjusting rates. At 50 percent I noticed some "possible" twitchiness, or it could have just been thermals, at about 120 mph. To know where you stand you'll need several test flights and take notes to see really for yourself.

So my setup now is using a 3 position switch. I use 30 percent gain as the based line for both modes and a slider lever programmed as a trim for the gain so I can go from 40 to 20 percent. I can't for the life of me go back to flying this plane without it, I've been so happy with the results. I'm going to buy at least one more unit to share with a few other models, notably my A-4 and F-100, as those are next to get the iGyro treatment. Depending on how tight installation is, I'll probably dedicate one or more units to individual planes before I go to sharing one between a few other models that might be easier to get into and move things around.

If you have the programming cable, that opens up the game so you can change relative gain on each control axis. For example if you are getting aileron oscillation first you can dial down the aileron sensitivity a few points so you can have all axis of control set optimally. In my case on the Bandito EDF jet I think the ailerons are the limitation so when I get more time to play with the setup I may lower the aileron sensitivity a little and then raise the gains a few points. But to be honest, the unit works so well for me right now I don't feel it's completely necessary. It may make a difference however in some aircraft and I do expect to play around a little with the unit as I gain comfort and experience.

Another thing- if you get an oscillation during initial proving flights "what I do" is immediately reduce throttle and pull up to wash some speed off. I don't try to mess with any switches or levers, I'm just looking to maintain control and minimize airframe stress and get the plane flying at a safe speed and condition. It's not like flutter, but depending on how severe, I'm sure it could stress out the airframe or cause a PIO. Best to get the plane safely slowed under control and then play with switches to adjust. On a new install I also take off with the gyro "off" until I get very comfortable with how the model reacts to my settings and I'm comfortable with the switch positions and how to get to them without taking eyes off the model.

Last edited by Eddie P; 03-30-2015 at 04:49 PM.