RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Scott,most guys likely won't have issues and yes i believe i lost the old trusty t-master to spektrum. i came over the top of a loop and my elevator went away. it was on the DX5i . For me i came to a crossroad on weather to go spektrum or JR . I've read a lot more losses from spectrum over JR and futaba. so i decided to stay with JR. though spek has some cool stuff there wasn't enough to pull me away from JR. i listened to some pilots that had a lot more knowledge on things that went on behind the scenes, that for the most part helped me make up my mind plus the new direction that JR went as far as xbus and DMSS. I looked real hard at the futaba 18 but liked the 28 better. You know that you and i are pretty meticulous when it comes to setup and using the right equipment for the right job and we leave the rest to fate. Don't mistake my opinion for running down another manufacturer . like i said... i personally don't trust spek if i did, i'd buy one in a minute . It's all trust. that DX6 you bought , i thought was a nice radio with a good programming layout and some cool perks. ron
DX5i? Im guessing you mean DX5e? While it has its place it is the bottom of the line non computer radio. Comparing its performance to a DX18 or any of the G2 radios is like comparing a Ford to a Fiat. I have to agree with you on the trust issue. If you dont understand what is going on and have no way to find out it can be a confidence killer.
I still dont quite understand how you would compare a DX5e to a DX18 or G2 Spektrum or to one of the XG JR radios. In the end if its what peaks your confidence and works good for you thats the most important thing.
Id like to ask something though. Not in any derogatory way.Just curious since you stated you are meticulous about setup. Do you take advantage of monitoring any of the performance stats of a system on setup or during operation? I dont consider myself meticulous but I take take all reasonable steps to assure my system is going to do what I expect. Before we had telemetry widely available I used an Eagletree logger to graph my voltages and FL data during setup and at least the first few flights. I checked FL data with the little plugin reader box after flights to make sure I wasnt having signal issues.
It alerted me to several problems with remote cables inflight that I never noticed on the ground. It didnt save me from BEC failures though.But when I dug it out of the wreckage it told me exactly what happened when i retreived the data. Once I used telemetry I found that even BECs dont die instantly. If you get a bad servo or its overloaded or just plain weak the minimum voltage will drop a few tenths long before it shuts off. If voltage is sagging for any reason it means land now while you can before you fall out of the sky. Ive been saved a shutdown more than once. Same with FL data alarms. If theres a Rx or Tx problem it generally doesnt happen completely and instantly. You will get momentary Holds with no noticable loss of control long before a complete failure.