RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Pretty sure if memory serves JR makes Spektrum for HH, correct me if Im wrong. The product line provides different features and price points for HH. Just like other major brands they make another product line because not everyone likes the primary brand. Oakley for instance makes Dragon eyewear.
I know the menu structure on the lower channel Spektrum models is derived from the JR 9303 menu which was very easy to navigate. The DX18 has some functionality like that from what I could see so far. Ive had mine out of the box twice, not much time to mess with it yet.

My main reasons for the purchase were a) product support b) JR compatibility since I have a lot of equipment c) 18 channels d) built in sequencer e) price $729 with extra free 9ch Rx
I'm disappointed JR 's product line jumps over from the 11X past the teens and into a $2800 28 channel radio. Thats pretty strange and a lapse of customer support. I would have bought a $1000 16-18Ch JR radio if I could but instead Im trying out the DX18.

Until Jeti is more common and proven in the US I have no interest in the system. I have an investment in JR/Spektrum with a perfect track record for 10+ years, amazingly. Plus, Im not a fan of removable switches and more points of failure either on the Tx or in the plane.

The early Spektrum units were made by JR such as the DX7 which was a rebadged JR 7202, At some point Horizon supposedly contracted with some other factory to build the Spektrum units
however I suspect the later units may have been built under license from JR.