RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much damage?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we are talking about a hypothetical situation (thankfully, so far anyway) let's consider a B777 for example.
(let's not go into worse case scenario...no loss of life)
Powered by 2 GE90's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_GE90
Let's say the "2 pound quad" goes through an engine...
Whether some bits and pieces go through the core, well...who knows...we will find out later.

IIRC a GE90 cost about 14 MILLION USD...
If something like the above scenario were to take place, the B777 is grounded while it is checked for additional damage and the engine would have to be removed...and a replacement hung in it's place.
We don't know the extent of the damage until the overhaul facility disassembles the engine, but the Airline, and the Insurance Co. are not going to be happy about it.

I don't know how much revenue the Airline would lose while a triple seven is down for maint. but speaking from first hand experience with A320's...it was approx $30K per day per plane in 2011 when Frontier Airlines had a bunch of them damaged by hail. I worked on 3 of them while they were in the hangar.
A B777 would potentially lose a lot more than 30K per day in lost revenue...

Etc. etc. etc....
LOTS of $$$
Airline and Insurance Co. really mad...and no mention of the number of man hours of labor charges to do the maint. on the aircraft.

If the guy flying the quad was nabbed...he would have a lot of people really bugged with him...aye?

Last edited by proptop; 04-03-2015 at 09:24 AM.