RCU Forums - View Single Post - large scale wiper motor servo
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 12:12 PM
superchip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default large scale wiper motor servo

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm really impressed with the wealth of knowledge on offer. I am currently in the middle of a large scale build in the form of a Baja style buggy although it doesn't look remotely like a Baja lol. Seeing as I have zero welding skills I have had to resort to bolting everything together in these early stages and once I have something that I'm satisfied with I'll be looking to weld and reinforce the chassis and other bits. I'm using a 2 stroke engine from a mini moto, the size of the car must measure 4 1/2 feet long and 3 feet wide at its widest, the wheels I'm using are the ones used on sack barrows so that gives you a rough I idea how big this thing is lol. Together with no welding skill I also have no real metal working tools like a lathe, but I do have access to a press drill and angle grinder which have proved invaluable. The frame and chassis has been made entirely from lawn mower handles cut at certain places to give me the shape I want and the whole thing has gone together pretty well, I would say I'm around 65-70% finished. Now to my question. I am an absolute noob with electronics but can learn fast, I am currently trying to put together my steering servo which comprises a wiper motor and a controller called a Servo Thor-15 which is designed for my application. Now I have been able to proportionally control the speed of the motor in both directions both with the rc tx and the potentiometer and all seems fine until I link the ou output shaft to the pot after which the output shaft loves to rip the linkage to pieces. In other words I can't make the set up to behave like a normal servo ie;
Neutral-left-auto centre-right-auto centre. I know the controller should work how I want as I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube where people are using the same motor controller and the wiper motor shouldn't be the issue either. Any brain boxes on here that can shed some light as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated, pics to come and many thanks