RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Great Planes Ultimate .40 Build Thread!!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Great Planes Ultimate .40 Build Thread!!!!

I had stated earlier that I would be doing a build thread for this model since it doesn't appear to have much focus on it. I will state up front that I have a full work week, 2 small children and various other chores etc. that I must tend to each day. I will update as quickly as I can so please bare with me. I'm also in the covering stage of a SIG 4 Star 1.20 as well so I will be dividing my time as best as I can.

So, here we go!!!!!!

I ordered the kit from Tower on a Thursday and it arrived the following Monday in great shape. Along with the kit, I ordered an OS .55AX and a Bisson pitts muffler. Checking the kit contents, everything was neatly packaged and thankfully arrived safely. I noticed right away that the kit box was very heavy in good 'ole Great Planes fashion. I was expecting this as I have built many, many of Great Planes kits in the past and. much of the wood provided is entirely too dense/heavy. Well, the Great Planes Ultimate .40 is no exception to some extent but more on that later. I typically lay all the pieces out of the box to assess the kit and make sure nothing is majorly wrong with the contents. All of the wood provided was in excellent shape as were the ABS bits and canopy. I just love the smell of a freshly opened kit lol!!

*Note* I realize that this kit builds quite heavy as do most all the GP kits I have done over the years. I am not going to go overboard or obsess with trying to lighten the kit. I could have ordered a bunch of Contest grade wood and prob. knocked 1.5lb or more off the stock weight but that really isn't my goal here. I just want a great flying plane and to come out in the end with a good RTF weight.
Now, I will be weighing certain pieces that seem suspect as being ridiculously heavy and sub'ing my own wood when needed.
Basically, I'm just using common sense with the build. I know that most of the weight in this kit comes from the fuse itself so I will be watching that. I plan on using a LiFE pack for RX and that will knock off 3oz.+ right there. I will be using a RX that is also less than 1/2oz and though I haven't decided fully yet on servos, they will also be no more than 1.5oz each with the aileron ones prob. around 1oz or less. I'm going to use a 6oz. fuel tank which will be plenty for my OS .55AX.

Last edited by flygilmore; 04-07-2015 at 07:40 AM.