RCU Forums - View Single Post - large scale wiper motor servo
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM
superchip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading through my post, it seems like I may not have made my specific problem clear. Now my aim is pretty much the same as what some other people in this forum have proposed to incorporate in their projects and that is to use a wiper motor as a steering servo but while they're using a scratch built h bridge or a polulu board(sorry if that's miss spelt), I'm going a different and I think more cost affective route by using a unit called a servo Thor-15 which is basically the electronics that you find in a normal hobby servo but can take voltages up to around 16v. This unit is specific to my goal in that the unit is designed to control a large motor (in my case a 12v wiper motor) just like a normal servo. The unit has an input for up to around 16v and incorporates it's own potentiometer for position feedback. In addition the unit also powers the receiver so I only need to worry about one battery which is a small 12v lead acid battery. Now my problem is that no matter what I try I simply can't make the motor behave like a servo, I can control the direction left and right via the potentiometer or the tx but when I link pot to the motors output shaft it just destroys itself. It doesn't matter either way when the pot reaches it's max travel because either way the motor just keeps turning until the linkage breaks. One thing I have noticed with the attached pot and that is there seems to be a huge dead area in the pots neutral position, I have to turn the pot quite a bit either way before the motor starts to turn, added to the problem is that I don't seem to have auto centre either. I don't know if that's an issue or not but I thought I'd mention it. Like I've said before, I have seen a few videos where people have used the same controller and have achieved what I want to achieve but I can't help thinking that I'm missing something....

Last edited by superchip; 04-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.