RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's why you don't charge your batteries inside your model tank/truck/car
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Ive never had a battery burn up at home yet, but i dont want to loose my house either. I think I will charge my batteries inside a metal bucket from now on.
Good idea.

I love when people recommend what they perceive as no risk, as if they will help repay when things go south.

I've never got bent diving, even though I pushed the tables a few times, but I'm not going to tell someone they can ignore the limits or bounce to 130 feet hungover. I don't see the sense in resistance to safety or questioning the motives of someone posting a photo.

I've had three lipos go up on me, all from leads shorting at the connector, not mishandled, not charged too fast. They produce an impressive flame for their size, and two of these were tiny 1 cells. The third was a two cell in my hand, on the third floor of my house at 10PM. In a span of a few seconds I had to weigh the options of tossing it out a window, possibly damaging my deck or backyard, or keeping in my shop, possibly causing a heck of a lot more damage. Fortunately I had wire cutters within arms reached, I cut the lead and dropped it in a metal pail. If puffed, but didn't blow-torch.

Yes we use these batteries in laptops, phones, etc, but those aren't connected/disconnected constantly, bounced around in a tank or on hard landings and are always charged well within the limits of their design. The jack on my Macbook only goes in one way and only delivers one current.

Remember, a single AA battery and gum wrapper foil can start a flame for survival, so anything that stores electric charge can create heat.

I leave my NiMH/NiCads in my tanks all the time, but always disconnect. How hard is it to do?