RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)
Old 04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sjhanc, chris923, aghost

Thanks for the comments. One thing I did not mention was that on the first install of the mains and trial retract the gear shuddered in both directions even with 120 lbs. of pressure in the tank. In some cases they did not complete the cycle, ask me how happy I was about that after the Century Jet debacle . I found the tolerances so tight on the mains that they did not move smoothly even when I removed them and operated them by hand. So with all the experience of taking the Century Jet gear apart, I removed one side of the gear and inserted a .01 shim and put it all back together. Now the gear function perfectly, and I am guessing that when the gear wear in I will be able to remove the shim. Later today I hope to install the gear doors, both main and tail, but that might be a several day task. I want to fly the P51 this weekend in our Warbird event so if the doors prove too problematic I'll just leave them off for the event.
I have Sierra gear in my unfinished Ziroli 120" B-25 and not started Kellog TBF, and from what I see, I will never buy gear from anywhere else. I just hope Sierra gets around to supplying an electric option as I, at this time, prefer the electrics over the air. The gear in the B-25 have an electric conversion by Century Jet and work fine, fingers crossed now on that. But it does seem that on the larger electric drive motors and controller that CJ system works OK. I hope they never break or quit as the customer support is almost non existent at CJ, makes me think to just order an additional set of drive motors and keep them as spares. I have a 'Down and Lock' conversion on the gear in the Corsair and they work well, but are too expensive for what they are.