RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG calculation by weight
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the C/G on the Cessna 182 set exactly at 4 5/16" per the Top Flight instructions. I have another T.F. 182 (this one kit built) also set @ 4 5/16" which flys nice so I didn't do the 25-33% MAC calculation, I just went with 4 5/16". Now, I only made one landing and it was not by the book so I will fly it some more to evaluate the C/G before any changes are made. I will normally land this type of plane with the mains touching down before the nose wheel but because of circumstances and pilot decisions that didn't happen and the nose wheel hit first slightly bending the nose gear wire and knocking the steering out because of thread failure in the steering arm set screw. This is a used plane and I didn't catch the damaged threads in the steering arm. Not being able to steer it was the reason I stopped at one flight, not the bent gear wire as the bend was very minor. That and incoming foul weather let me call it a successful maiden flight and returned to the shop to address the nose gear issue. It's fixed now and will be reflown next time I fly. I was flying at a sod farm where we can land any direction we want, not just on a fixed direction preset runway. This is usually cool but this time it hurt me (pilot's decision) as I came in on final from my right side, pretty normal, than made a right turn into the fairly stout wind so my view of the plane and landing was from directly behind the plane and my speed and flare judgment was poor. I should have just landed it as a crosswind landing so I had a good view of the plane but I didn't. No harm of any consequence, I just had to call it a day with only one flight. This weekend is not looking good weather wise with 80% rain in the forecast. All in due time.