RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guido used the case of a Supre Tigre .56, and fit it with an electric motor. This gives you the ultimate in terms of an authentic vintage appearance, using the same engine Tom used, (including no muffler-- like the original), but having a modern electric set-up. The wing tube and top hatch has essentially "modernized" the TBX to state of the art technology. Maybe Tom would design and build his TBX more like this if he were doing it now.

From Guido:
I have an input power of approx 1100 Watt. The efficiency rate is slightly more than 90% , that gives approx 1100Watt with a 11x8 prop. With a 12x8 prop I can go up to 1200 Watt at the propeller. I prefer 11x8 which is still more than the original Super Tigre .56 and is by far good enough for flying this model.
Guido, (this is the first time I kept the original crankshaft and the 2 ball bearings. The balancing weight at the end of the crankshaft was removed by grinding (a friend of mine did that) only a very small ring was left to prevent it from sliding forward through the ball bearing.)
Guido

Helen Brett, Tom's wife said in a congratulatory note to Guido that "...Tom would be very proud..." BTW-Guido had sent Helen a picture of the Perigee he had previously built. Guido has an impressive "stable" of select vintage pattern planes--all the Kazmirski designs, and the Perigee. I don't know what else he may have.

From Helen Brett...

This is truly amazing and beautiful.

Guido, my regards to you on a job very well done. I know Tom would be very proud. I know it wasn't an easy task. I enjoyed the photos and am so glad to hear the plane flew well for you. The Perigee is beautiful, too.

Best regards

Helen

Last edited by kingaltair; 04-18-2015 at 08:41 AM.