RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow Plugs and older engine.
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 AM
erwabo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

HAHA, yes large engine indeed, but it is a trainer....its just a very large one. Its about a 5 foot wingspan...long thin body and a fairly large tail. Ive been using a trainer on my ipad and the hobby store I found has a really nice one in the store so I go in there and practice. I will probably pick up an fairly non destructable electric one to practice on before I fly these nitrous engines.

My wifes grandpa is 86 and stopped flying when he was about 70, and unfortunately he doesnt remember much of how to do anything. He gave away the batteries, electric starter, glow plug igniter, fuel pump and fuel when he quit flying so bought a bunch of that a couple days ago. I bought a cheap battery pack that holds 4 AA's because I wanted to test the planes before I spent $40 on a Ni-Cad pack, and then I picked up a Ni-Cad pack yesterday.

I spent quite a bit of time this week figuring out the transmitter and playing with the 2 planes, but like I said, even with a brand new battery I cant get that second plane to work now. I plug in the battery pack and every servo will twitch, when I power on the trasmitter they twitch again, but I get no control. The guy at the hobby store said turn on transmitter first, which i tried, and again when I put in the battery pack they just twitch. If I pull the crystal and put it back in they also just twitch....so Im thinking it may be bad.

There is a local club around here, but I talked to one member and he said they dont allow the old 72 Mhz transmitters, so eventually I will need a new transmitter and receiver anyhow.

The engines are my biggest issue...other than following the manual, I just cant get them started, but I dont know enough about them yet. Both the props do seem fairly stiff, but I can flip them. Im guessin the engines probably need to be disassembled and cleaned since they have been sitting for 15 years, but I thought I would at least get SOMETHING out of them with fully charged igniter and good glow plugs.

But i Just started learning Tuesday, so what do I know =)