RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please explain exponential
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add to this that if you are using approx. 1" standard arms, with maximum deflection of 60* either side of center, the "early" movement off neutral at the servo with ZERO expo is significantly over-sensitive. Please measure one...you'll see immediately what I'm explaining. As the servo arm moves, it becomes less linear because of the arc of movement. On JR, Hitec, Airtronics, Futaba, ANY flavor of radio, this is absolutely true. For Hitec, getting to 28% expo makes the movement of the control surface actually "linear", that is, the percentage of control movement will match the amount of stick movement, proportionally.
This isn't a magic function...it is simple rotational geometry of radial movement against a linear goal.
It is absolutely accurate, also....SOME amount of expo to "de sensitize" neutral WILL be required simply to get the linkage system to be truly linear and proportional.
Doubters, fire away, but please do so AFTER you've actually measured amounts of travel at the servo arm takeoff point both WITH expo and without.
Folks who already know this to be true - please help clarify my explanation, as it's a little bit about explaining Ackerman...