RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please explain exponential
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 12:19 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
Maybe this will help-
I generally start off with plans/direction suggested throws for for my dual rates. If suggested expo is also given, I use those suggestions as well. As the plane is sorted out, the throws are optimized as I switch back and forth between the high and low rates. Generally taking off and landing accomplished on low rate, and flying is on high (if I feel like it). Once I have the throws so the plane is behaving as expected, then I start playing with the expo, paying special attention to those while on high rates. If the plane seems touchy in pitch, I add expo (reduce sensitivity) to the elevators - and keep adding until it feels comfortable. I do the same for aileron and rudder, getting them equally comfortable as well.

So, regarding dual rates, eventually, I will find myself taking off and landing on high rates - as they feel no different than the low rates around center. Doesn't sound like I'm doing anything unusual, until you see the plane is set up as a full on 3D, and full stick on high rates will have most controls surface throws at 45 degrees either side of center. Without exponential (or some fancy mechanical differential) there is no way on earth this old man might be able to fly a plane like that. With expo, it fits like an old shoe..... tailored/custom fit to my flying style.

I would also note that I'm often using 80-90% expo. on high rates. It's available, it's not a sin to use it, and I believe it helps make the plane easier to fly. It does this without affecting what's happening at extreme throws/stick movement, or by limiting the plane's capabilities. The only guys talking expo down are those that haven't figured it out yet.

Last, I'd also note I'm using as much expo on a 32" electric foamy as I am a gasser. Properly understood and set up, there's really no difference between them when it comes to expo.
I'm using 80% on rudder in my pattern ships.