RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Riser 100 electric Build
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easy - not much different from a 1-piece. Only recommendation is that you absolutely make positively SURE that your connector tube is anchored and braced to the max possible. BTW, my own practice is to use steel rods & tube to connect sailplane wings on 90% of my sailplanes - I'm just more comfy with that method instead of the laminated (usually ply/aluminum/ply flat pieces) type. I just set the tube in between the upper/lower spars and tack it in place with a bit of balsa & CA to set my dihedral (just enough to hold it in place). Then I install the rear webbing, set the wing up on her rear end and fill the entire area with epoxy, capping the whole thing off with the front webbing. Yeah, it's overkill, a lot of overkill, but I've never had a wing fail at the connector.

If you DO decide to go with the flat laminated type of connector, I would suggest (if it's not set up that way already) using thin ply as webbing at that connector area, and probably another bay out from there. That also will positively ensure the integrity of the connection.

I also usually use a clip mounted on the bottom to actually hold the two wings together, but that's just me - I've never seen anyone else do it.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm rather paranoid (that's a noid on each hand - a par-a-noid) about the wings on my planes.