RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Dolphin Review and Build
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went and flew the trainer wing today. I had absolutely no trim in the jet. Take off was strait and landing was predictable. My set up on the trainer wing was a little different than the sport wing. After hearing some problems guys were having I made some changes right out of the box. First is I went a little nose heavy. Second, I set reflex or crow in my ailerons at landing flap. My landing flap was reduced to 35 degrees and ten degrees of up aileron. This will all but delete the possibility of a tip stall. We took it up high and deployed the landing flaps. The plane literally came to a stop and fell on the nose with no tip stall. The jet likes to land at about 38-45 mph depending on flap configuration. We also landed with the jet on take off settings without reflex. This was my preferred way. It by no means needs full flap to slow down to land. You can drop it right in at 40 mph with take off flaps and have a perfect flair. The turbine we were running is the Power Pack cheetah from JC. I am a dealer for them now and this was the perfect engine. I was worried about tailpipe size but after numerous flights the pipe looks brand new. I am at 34 lbs full of fuel. The turbine is a 34 lb turbine. You can't ask for much more than one to one on this jet, and it is a blast. Our top speed was again right at 154 like the sport wing version. I do custom gear for these that converts it to electric gear and brakes. And they are awesome. Yes my struts almost bottom out when you are sitting on the ground. As you come in and land they settle in just fine and never "bottom out" the idea behind having a soft and hard spring in the gear is to keep them from bouncing on a bad landing. If they were any stiffer you would not like the results of a bad landing, believe me, I can almost make a living fixing jets that have bounced because of hard landings. Some people may find it odd or disheartening that the jet appears to be bottomed out, and yes you can bottom them out, but if your landings are a little off, the gear is saving you. I have already replaced a set of wings on one from 6 hard landings in a row. The gear box is strong!! And the gear was fine, but it managed to finally brake when it basically dropped 6' strait down. So fly the gear with confidence. Here are a few pics from today and the set up. The weight shown is a rtf weight, and the more nose heavy CG is also RTF CG. I will load a couple short videos of T/O and landing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2093963   Click image for larger version

Views:	828
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2093964   Click image for larger version

Views:	820
Size:	1,021.3 KB
ID:	2093965   Click image for larger version

Views:	784
Size:	1,012.3 KB
ID:	2093966   Click image for larger version

Views:	788
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2093967   Click image for larger version

Views:	881
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2093968   Click image for larger version

Views:	776
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2093969   Click image for larger version

Views:	773
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2093970  

Last edited by MorseAircraftDevelopment; 05-04-2015 at 08:26 PM.