RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by woody242
Hey Gary,

Got the glass cutout of the wheel well for the gear install with the gear mounted as far forward per your recommendation. Looks to fit nicely if I adjust the axle so that it is not flush with the gear leg. About 1/4" sticks out which I expect I will cut off. Do you know what bag contains the gear mounting hardware? I don't really see hardware that matches, looks like I should be providing my own as all of the bags seem to be labeled for other uses. Do you have recommendations for screw lengths, looks like countersinking the forward inner screw would provide the best clearance for the permanent covers. Do you see any issues with this?

Thanks,
John
Hello John.

They do NOT give you those screws (probably because the gear is not part of the kit). We add additional wood under the mounting rails and use #8 X 1" wood screws. You can use hex head hardened wood screws for extra strength. With most warbirds we use machine screws and T-nuts, but in the case of the CARF Corsair, the #8 screws are plenty strong and will not come loose, and are much easier to install with the proper pilot hole. With the #8 you may need to drill the gear holes just slightly, but we still prefer them to a smaller #6 that wood be slightly smaller than the holes.

If you are building a newer kit, the extra wood under the mounting rails is probably already installed.

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 05-10-2015 at 06:41 PM.