RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moved the large 4-cell receiver battery pack from the intended mounting plate in front of the CG location to the open bay just behind the CG location in front of the cockpit area. That moved the balance point back about 1/4" but still within the recommended range. Test flew this weekend. The ground handling was much better with a much reduced nose over tendancy. Flight test was good with no new bad habits. It will slow down more quickly, especially with full flaps. First landing attempt got a little squirely as I got too slow and started to drop a wing but power input had it flying again for a go-around. Second attempt kept the nose down and it flaired beautifully for a solid wheel landing in the grass and roll out. It didn't try to nose over and slowed down nicely to taxi. I was able to taxi back with full up elevator and again the tail would bounce but not rise. Yippee! I did not put spacers under the landing gear to angle them forward and don't think I'll need to.

Jaybird