RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
It really is funny and sad sometimes when people think thats the nicest arf they have ever seen I have yet to do a rare plane from absolute scratch..
I SO WISH I KNEW 3D DRAFTING...

Foodstick, why should not knowing 3D drafting keep you from scratch building? May's issue of Model Aviation has an article on reading drawings that gives you the basics of plans and that should serve you well as a start, just go for it, you might just surprise yourself.
I no longer subscribe to any magazines so haven't seen the article but as a kid I had a Vemco drafting machine and designed a lot of my own free flights and control line planes. Today I see no need for it because of all the plans sites but the programs for the 3-D CADs are great, I am just computer stupid. Last year I had the pleasure of building a plane from CAD drawn plans. It was the first time I have ever built anything that every part fit perfectly. If I could I would only build from CAD plans from now on. There are a lot of planes I have built that I wish could be redrawn in CAD!!
I still have my scratch building books too and often refer to them. My days of projecting plans on the wall and tracing them onto paper is also over. It was state of the art at one point though. It's how we enlarged a plane.