RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM
sierratango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
Cashpoboy, I don't think anyone will hold your purchase practice against you, heck, I would think we all are guilty of that to some degree.

Let's clarify something here, there is fundamental difference between 3-view and 3-D. 3-view is still a 2 dimensional drawing just looking at a subject from a different perpendicular direction, in other words, still an X - Y axis, no depth. 3-D or 3 Dimensional adds the Z - axis to the equation and gives the 2 - D drawing depth. To give a proper rendition of the subject it often skewed off the horizontal and depicts the unseen side of the subject and essentially removes the need for 3-view. 3-D has been around forever but only has recently become practical with advances in CAD software and CNC software, now a very desirable format.

There is a lot of free CAD software out there and what they want you to do is use the free software and learn it so you will come back and buy the full program (sort of "first one is free" concept). All are simple to use and have good help menus and are more than powerful enough to design anything we need for models, and if you are lucky enough to have someone in your area that has a CNC Laser Cutter you can easily contract him to cut you a short kit off of your freshly drawn CAD plans, sweet. Some may even have upgraded to 3-D, even sweeter. Personally, the only thing between us and Burt Rutan is us.

A quick P.S. on the free software. Whatever program you select please read the fine print, since all are internet downloads some providers want permission on your PC's and/or place cookies, not an NSA thing, just be aware of what you are giving them access to and none I know will follow your banking transactions, these are reputable companies, they just want a market view of your activity.
Duncan....

Can you name a few of the CAD programs that are user friendly. I tried to use Compufoil to generate fuselage bulkheads along the entire length of the my fuselage project and is was not exactly what I wanted.