RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM
genrcflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been building and flying r/c airplanes since the 60's. Started with a Sig Kadet and built many kits afterwards. When the kids got bigger and their activities took up more time (and money), I cut way back on my hobby. I started back up again and was blown away by the progress made in the electric motors, the 4 stroke engines and especially, the radios and receivers. I live on my 400 acre farm and have my own 500' grass runway and a 14 acre watershed pond to fly off of. I have trained about 60 pilots over the years and I still get to do the maidens on new aircraft. I only build the ARFs now because I'm 70 years old and don't think I have the time left to do all of the projects I still dream of. I have 19 flyable airplanes, 2 partially built kits to finish and 6 more still in the box. I tried to collect all of the H9 warbirds and have most of them. I have an 85" Yak 54 with a DA 50 on it but have not got around to getting it in the air yet. I spent 3 years building a 90" P 38, even though it was an ARF, it took that long for me to find the engines, and other equipment at the price I was willing to pay. Everything I do is not over half price so I have to be patient. I love to go to the giant scale meets and ALL other events within a few hours driving distance. I do not belong to a club but am an AMA member. It is very hard to find anyone anymore that is capable of building in my area. The electric park flyers are the big thing and most give up after a crash. I am not a builder of kits anymore but I have a lot of experience in rebuilding after a crash and all of my planes fly better afterwards. I had an operation 3 years back that kept me off my feet for about 4 months so I got interested in helicopters. It took me 3 years and a thousand dollars to learn how to hover, all on my own without help. I am an expert rebuilder of helicopters now too! Happy flying everyone!