RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Slight Puffy Lipo and ESC Question: GP Evader JET
Old 05-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Slight Puffy Lipo and ESC Question: GP Evader JET

Hi Guys,
I am a longtime RC’er with Glow but I am new to electrics. I have a New (but small) GreatPlanes Electric Evader Jet with an 14.volt 2200mAh ElectricFly battery poweringup the motor & the radio. I noticed that the sides of the battery arepuffed out just slightly. Kind of like there was a little air pumped into the oppositesides of the battery. The battery is only about 8 months old and never used inflight and works fine when I run up the motor. I charged it and discharged itmaybe 3 or 4 times it the last month or so and it seems to work fine. In fact Itook the plane out this past weekend for its maiden flight and it flew verywell after I got it trimmed out. I flew it for about 5 or 6 mins and broughther in. I made a trim adjustment and a Throw Rate adjustment and went back upagain. After about 4 mins of flight while running at wide open throttle themotor abruptly pulled back on its own. I raised the throttle and it took offagain and it happened about 45 seconds later. If I am correct this is the electronicspeed controller kicking in and warning me that the battery is getting low? Isthis correct? And is the slight puffiness on the sides of the battery anythingto worry about?
In fact I took the plane out this past weekendfor its maiden flight. It flew very well after I got it trimmed out. However itwas extremely fast and everything happens very fast. It was a Great Thrill. Arefreshing thrill that after 45 years of flying was a nice reminder of how muchfun and how thrilling this Hobby/Sport can really be. It’s easy to see and understandhow that after a number of years of the same old plane, doing the same old repetitivething how it’s easy to get into a rut of flying doing the same old thing. But byjust getting something totally new and different like a fast electric Jet whichwill keep you on your toes can really bring the thrill back…..

Thanks

Ed