RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D Printed 1/16th FV101 Scorpion
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
TheGreatestMoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xhack2: Not quite so simple as that lol. This was almost 2 months of work in the CAD. I took measurements from a 1/35th scale model of the tank, most of the time that was not enough though I also used pretty much every image google has on the Scorpion. All the CAD files are made from the ground up to be 3d printable with proper tolerances and the width of thin walled parts had to stay above 0.96mm (a 0.4mm nozzle actually comes out at 0.48mm due to thermal expansion). Lots and lots of work. At times I felt like I was losing my mind trying to replicate the details. I managed to get the turret really good though with the proper aluminum plates overlapping like the RL one.

I also made a lot more parts then are on my tank, like some of the other variations of the storage boxes are all done in my CAD files.

I have to print myself a 2nd tank to be able to document its construction to make an instruction manual. I'll be able to see just how much print time it is. I'm thinking of trying to get some kind of printing company to print them for me if I can get the price low enough. Shapeways is pretty much a joke for something with this many parts. I think the whole tank has over 300 parts. Shapeways wanted 96$ USD just for the main lower hull body... That piece was a 6 hour print on my printers.

afv aficionado: Well in terms of the IR battle thing with the Tamiya tanks, will people care too much that this little tank probably has no place 1v1ing a Leopard 2A6? LOL At the very least a Scorpion 1v1ing another Scorpion should make sense...

Last edited by TheGreatestMoo; 05-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.