RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI. What a difference baffles and vent louvers make for cooling a radial engine. Had the 1st flight on the Delro Turner W4X this week. Before mods, temps on the ground measured with a laser gun through the spinning prop measured 205 - 215F. The temp range after landing on the maiden flight were 180 - 188F. The engine ran well for the 1st flight.

Not to bore you with off topic details, but the plane flew well, however, my biggest fear was present -- Tail heavy planeThe C/G called for 210 mm aft of leading edge. I balanced at 195 to 200 and the plane was still tail heavy.
The plane handled very well above low throttle, and the stall speed was slow, – but -
Most of the 12 minute flight was spent setting up for landing (nerves) because upon chopping the throttle, the plane would climb upward.
With only 35 degree of flaps, the approach was very long to bleed off speed.
This made for a very difficult landing. I had a 3% mix of down elevator with the flaps, but this was not enough.
The plane is probably tail heavy even balanced at 195 – 200 mm aft of the leading wing edge.
Others I have consulted with say that once the plane is dialed in, it's like a "Trainer on Steroids."
Next flight will have more nose weight and more down elevator mixed in with flaps.
Hope to post some video soon.

Regards - Jaketab
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_173309.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	2099523