RCU Forums - View Single Post - First gas engine question
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I learned a lot from Clarence's articles years ago but these days, I seem to differ with some of his opinions when it comes to gas engines. Case in point, he has repeatedly suggested removing the screen in Walbro carburetors which I highly disagree with. He suggests it gets plugged too easily and I suggest if it is getting plugged, the fuel going to the carb is contaminated which will ruin a carb in short order if that "last line of defense" screen is omitted. I have written letters but no response. He continues to make that suggestion from time to time and my fur gets ruffled whenever I read the suggestion. I check my screens once a year and in most cases find nothing in them. I couldn't imagine removing them.
I expect Mr Lee has a bit more experience running engines than you do.
Note that he also advises you to put a fuel filter in the line or in the tank.
And filter the fuel as you fill the tank.

Back before glow plugs we all used gas. The common advise was not to use leaded gas. The engine did not need high octane.In those days the engines wer very small. Less than .6 cu in. The question is at what engine size does it become important to run High test gas? As I said I ran a G45 for many years on coleman fuel without problems. I also ran my ZDZ80 on the fuel. But I crashed rather quickly and did not get much time on it. It did not show any signs of preignition though.