RCU Forums - View Single Post - First gas engine question
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
I have no idea, but I have used the same oil for several years so that don't apply in my case. When I pulled the screen, it came off and was like an ultra thin clear disk.
Regarding that clear coating that forms on screens, I have seen that happen a few times but only on yard equipment or old chainsaws where some fuel was allowed to set in the system and evaporate over time. I've never experienced that in an airplane engine. That's why I always recommend that the screen not only looks clean but that it can also allow fuel flow.

On another note and a debatable one, I have seen all sorts of fuel problems where people used stabilizers such as StaBil in their fuel. It seems to create a white powder residue in carburetors as fuel evaporates. This can plug drilled passages or cause all sorts of problems with or without a screen as it seems to form after evaporation. So none of that stuff for me! TOM, the Jedi and others who use to frequent these forums said it caused other problems when mixed with our fuels. Solution .... buy the proper quantity of fresh gas and use it before it goes bad then you don't need any stabilizer.