RCU Forums - View Single Post - First gas engine question
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Hey, while theres a room full of experienced gassers, what better place to ask a simple question. Does gas eat loctite? The blue Z-42 Zap? I had the butterfly on a walbro come loose on me 3 times now. Same engine. My question i guess, is there a "gas resistent" type to use? It gets frusterating trying to tune it like that. Lol.
In my experience, Blue Loctite is not affected by gasoline ..... But! That is the wrong formula for holding a throttle plate retaining screw. Red would be better as it is much stronger and the green wicking formula would be better yet. You have to be extremely careful with green though as if too much is used, it will follow along between the butterfly and the shaft and get between the shaft and housing and lock it solid! Don't ask me how I know! Use just a tiny bit of the green on the threads after assembly.

Regardless of the formula used, are you sure the threads in the shaft are in good condition to hold a screw? If the screw was ever removed without grinding the swaging off the back side, the shaft or more clearly the threads in the shaft could be ruined. If the threads and screw are in good condition, the Blue Loctite should be more than adequate though the other formulas are preferred.