RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's late so short and sweet, Maiden flight (finally) and it took 3 clicks nose down, none on rudder or ailerons. Stable flight and with half throttle on the DA60 flew what observers said was very scale speed and rolls. I elected to not use flaps and left the gear down for the flight just to see how the bird handled. The landing speed was high as I was afraid to pull off much power on final. The gear are as stiff as a board, I hope the springs soften some with use. It is obvious that one needs flaps to get the approach speed down where it belongs. The only problem I had was with the Sierra gear as the mains keep rotating on the axel, both gear rotated about 30 degrees inward after the final landing when it went off the end of the runway. The prop never touched the ground so I just shut it down and went and got it. Since, I have replaced the set screw with a Allen head bolt so I can get some real toque on it. Next week will find out if that solved the problem. I know on the taxi run several weeks ago the left main rotated and that time it got the prop. I also upped the pressure on the system to 120#s with a recommendation from a fellow flyer, seems to work well as gear always goes in to lock position.