RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well since you asked so nicely, I'll give you my suggestion, but just for you, not the "rest of us". I won't give you an answer, because nobody has one yet, anywhere.

1. Try to use the same font as well as the same text color. That's a huge start right there.
2. Dispel the myth that there is any 800 or so pound gorilla in the room, there isn't.
3. Recognize right away that nothing drastic needs to be done, nor will it be.
4. Recognize immediately that nothing we can do can change some people's mind that an outlaw drone operator is immediately related to what 99.9% of the rest of us do. It can't be done, so why try?
5. Immediately ban the use of the word ban (ironic right). It's a cowards way out of dealing with an issue that frightens them, or that they don't fully understand. Banning anything rarely accomplishes anything (obviously relating to this issues lest things get way off track) good.
6. Support and encourage the AMA to take the lead in partnering with any and all branches of the federal govt to draft and create appropriate rules/guidelines/laws for the use of RC aircraft of all types.
7. Help to ensure that the rules on the books, and those that might be created, are strictly and uniformly enforced. Don't plead people out, don't take $100.00 for a fine that should be $10,000.00. If someone has broken a law, file the appropriate charges, and let the process take over. As for follow up and the equal amount of publicity to show the ramifications of breaking the law.
8. Recognize that my best chance of affecting change is at MY level. Fly responsibly. Set the example. Promote the hobby and all of it's facets appropriately. Get into schools, open the flying field to the public, get into an outreach program (hey...we have this thing called Aviation Day....hint hint).
9. Invite local politicians or the news media to a flying event. Differentiate what we do from what the outlaws of the skies do (I'm seeking trademark on that) Hmm...DJI Desperadoes...Parrot Pirots, the list could go on. Have a point person read up on the issue, and partner with your local AMA reps and see if they can be involved as well. Successful campaigns of many kinds become successful from lots of grunt work at local grassroots levels. It's not the fun and glory that some think. This has been an issue that has been brewing for sometime, and will continue to do so.

Just some random thoughts of the top of my head......

Well worded. What exactly is your clout in regards to the AMA?
We are seeking solutions for this ongoing problem, others see it as not a problem, UNTIL something happens, which has numerous times according to the news articles. We can not simply put our heads in the Sand, hoping it will go away, it will not.
People here do not want more regulations in the RC community, but in my opinion, this problem open up a new box of problems, which we have not had for many years until now.
Yes, there needs to be Very Strict Regulations in operating drones, FPV, UAv's, but especially Drones, which are so popular now.

#1.When a person buys one of these, he must show Proof of AMA Membership. These proposed rules shall be forwarded by the company selling the aircraft, and will be kept on file with the AMA.

#2 He must take a written test in Safe operation of the aircraft and know the Laws pertaining to it's use.
#3.Must show proof of Homeowners Insurance.
#4.Must have previous flying experience in RC and explain written proof.
#5 Not hold the AMA responsible for unsafe operation of the aircraft, accept full responsibility of it's use, in a written statement and a copy to be held by the AMA of the document.
#6. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport.
#7 Do not endanger people aboard any aircraft,
#8 Do not fly this aircraft above 400 FT. AGL.

The individual signing this document then puts himself in the jurisdiction of the courts.

These are just a few suggestions I am offering. Will they pass through the AMA?, so if something doe's happen, we all don't get punished for the careless actions of a few.